Saturday, November 8, 2008

Consistency, and Other Stuff

So, like, uh, it's hard for me to blog with the consistency that I'd like. My apologies in advance to my adoring fans. All zero of you who officially follow me at the moment :).

So after the Barbie trauma of the last post, I have attempted to resurrect the conversation about Barbie and bodies and the like that I failed to properly address before. I said something like, "You know, the reason why I wasn't a fan of your Barbie comment the other day was because the people who make Barbie dolls don't make them look like real people's bodies. And because your body is real, I want you to look like Annemarie looks, not like a Barbie looks." I also tied this into our "no character toys/clothes/shoes" discussion -- I have a rule that, as much as possible, we don't buy stuff that has kid characters plastered all over it. Why, you may ask? Well, for about a zillion reasons. First, if they want me to advertise for them, then they can pay me. Second, I'd like Annemarie, Cole, and Micah to feel happy to be Annemarie, Cole, and Micah, and not Barbie, Dora, or Elmo (although we do have bit of him around). And third, most of that stuff is just plain ugly.

Annemarie churns this through her brain, and responds with, "So you don't want me to be a character. You want me to be me?" Right! I'm thinking we're getting somewhere! Then she says "And because you really just want me to look cute as me, not cute as Barbie?" Wait a minute, now......so we embark, again, on how "cute" is not the highest achievable goal. This may take some time.

In other news, Cole, Mr. Snugglebug himself, climbed into bed with me the other morning, and with a grin on his face said, "Mommy, I LOVE you............and I LOVE granola, too."

yep. It's me and the breakfast cereal.

3 comments:

Laura said...

How fun to learn about your blog. I also struggle with consistency on blogging as I feel my life is so boring who really wants to read about the boring events.

Becky Brown said...

I dunno ... mommy and granola? That's a whole lotta love going on right there. I think you're in good company.

Jovi said...

man, cole sounds SO much like liel!