Monday, January 19, 2009

Onto Mommy's Underwear and Theology

WARNING: Not for the faint of heart. Mention of Leslie's underwear.

Have I told you about how Cole and Annemarie delight in playing dress up with our clothes? Undoubtedly this is something that all kiddos like to do, and it just so happens that we have a closet big enough that a kid can walk inside, and if strategically silent enough about it, close the door and never be detected in the process of tearing all of our clothing from their hangers.

On a day last week I "lost" Cole in the house -- which happens quite often -- and I found him in my closet trying on my thong underwear. I found this amusing on about 3000 levels (not the least of which included his comment: "Mom, your underwear is hard to get on. And it's really little"). At this Annemarie inquired why I had such little underwear. I explained the whole panty-line thing -- that women who wear form fitting pants don't typically care to show panty-lines, and thus they wear panties that, uh, don't have much to them at all.

Now I could see the wheels turning in Annemarie's head. Annemarie, the quintessential rule follower, had started to worry about whether *she* had panty lines. I reassured her that these were things that little girls did not need to worry about, and that for that matter, it wasn't really anything of any importance at all. Just an aesthetic preference I had.

So later that day, at lunch, she sat down at the table and said:
"It's OK to have panty lines."
me: "Of course it is."
A: "Sure. Even GOD has panty lines."

I told her that I wasn't sure that God wore underwear, so I couldn't vouch for that one. But I was sure that God wasn't against panty lines, so at least we had something we could feel certain about :).

3 comments:

Jovi said...

NICE. on so many levels...

Robert M Geraci said...

why didn't you just tell him it's so that when you bend over while wearing low-cut jeans, brian can enjoy seeing your ass? i mean, that _is_ the point, isn't it? :)

Robert M Geraci said...

i mean, it's to keep people from looking during church that led god to the non-thong panty line.